Box Drive is the perfect solution for users that want to work with their Box files directly from their desktop. It enables users to open, edit, and create Box files directly from their device, and have the content save automatically to the cloud.
Today, we're excited to announce that we've upgraded the Box desktop experience for Mac users. Building on the initial release of our support for Apple silicon Macs, this new version of Box Drive has been built using Apple's File Provider Extension APIs which offer a more secure and seamless experience in macOS.
The new Box Drive experience across Macs gives users:
- Full support for Apple silicon Macs
- A more seamless and secure Box Drive experience on all Macs with new integration in Finder
- Box Drive compatibility with macOS Monterey
- Significantly streamlined install experience for Box Drive on all Macs
- Broader application compatibility by supporting Mac package files on Box Drive
But that's not all. This new architecture will enable us to build new Box Drive capabilities on macOS more quickly. So stay tuned for future innovations with Box Drive on macOS!
Collaborating on content and getting your work done in the way that you prefer shouldn't be a hassle. Box Drive makes it incredibly easy to securely search for, create, edit, and access your cloud files right from your desktop, all while taking up minimal local hard drive space. As always, Box's enterprise grade security, compliance, and governance applies to all content that is stored in Box, so that you and your security team can have more peace of mind.
The new Box Drive experience across Macs is available today for all users on macOS Big Sur 11.5+ and macOS Monterey. If you are:
- A business or individual Box Drive user on macOS Monterey, the new Box Drive has automatically been enabled so you do not need to take any action.
- An individual user on macOS Big Sur 11.5+, the new Box Drive has automatically been enabled so you do not need to take any action.
- A business user on macOS Big Sur 11.5+, you can turn the new experience on by following the instructions on this page. It will be automatically turned on for you next month.