It’s a big day for Box and the Box Notes team! Today we're starting to roll out Box Notes to all users, and we expect it to be live for everyone by early June. We had a ton of sign ups for our beta program, and we would like to thank all our beta users who have provided invaluable feedback over the past months as we have built out the product.
Box Notes is easy to use and doesn't require any extra software, so you can use it to quickly capture ideas and information right in the Box web app. But more importantly, it allows you to work in real-time with your team. At its core, Box Notes is about making it easier to work with others. We've been excited to see this product living up to its promise throughout the beta and are thrilled to now bring that to all Box users.
Over the next several weeks, we will add Box Notes to your account. Once added, you'll see that we've made it incredibly simple to create new notes. You can either select the Box Notes button:
Or select New Box Note from the New... menu:
Once you are in a Box Note, you'll see that formatting options are easily accessible in the toolbar at the top. A second toolbar also appears when you select text, which allows you to add hyperlinks and annotations. And you can always tell which of your coworkers or friends is in the note with you, because their picture will appear in the left margin.
Box Notes are also easy to share. Anyone who is an editor in the folder in which the note lives will automatically be able to access and edit the note. You can distribute them more broadly by sending shared links to your notes, and anyone who isn't a collaborator in the folder will have read-only access.
Using Box Notes
We've been using Box Notes internally throughout the beta, and it has become integral to many of our processes. The ability to work together in real-time and instantly distribute information with just a link has made our communications processes more nimble. For instance, our engineering leads collaborate in Box Notes to create and then share their weekly updates with entire engineering organization. Our CEO now sends company-wide notices in Box Notes. We create marketing plans, draft press releases, develop FAQs, take meeting notes and more - all in Box Notes. I drafted this blog post in a Box Note (while watching my coworker simultaneously correct my spelling mistakes).
We recommend trying Box Notes for any number of needs:
- Meetings: Whether you are in a board meeting, sales meeting or team meeting, you can capture all the critical information in real time with everyone in the room.
- Status Updates: Your team can add all their updates in one note, making it easy to share among the team and more broadly in your company.
- Project Outlines: Create Box Notes to collect all the critical information related to your project, plus outline your project plan and schedule.
- Personal Notes and Lists: You can use Box Notes for your daily to-do list, drafts for blog posts, notes from meetings, and more.
- Marketing Plans: Use Box Notes to brainstorm messaging or develop marketing plans internally or with your agency.
Keep an eye out for Box Notes in your account and give it a try for your next project plan, meeting agenda or to-do list. We'd love to hear how you are using it in the comments below or on Twitter @BoxHQ. We'll also be adding Box Notes to our mobile apps soon - so stay tuned!